Commissioner General of Examinations Amith Jayasundara said yesterday (18) that no decision has been made to annul the year-five scholarship examination held last Sunday (15). A group of parents and others protested in front of the Examinations Department yesterday (18) morning claiming that some questions in a question paper related to the examination had been leaked earlier and demanded that justice be done. The Commissioner also said that he informed the group about this during a discussion held with one of the groups.
He also said that the group that came to the discussion said that only three questions had been leaked before the scholarship examination, but there was information that more questions had been discussed by several teachers.
He said further that if the information of the people who came to the discussion is proved to be correct within three days, the Sri Lanka Examination Department will strictly implement the law in this regard.
He said that he has discovered that a paper with 16 questions is under discussion and it is an indication that there is similarity in three questions.
Yesterday morning (18) these mothers and others had arrived at the Examination Department and protested in front of the examination department demanding the cancellation of the scholarship examination held last Sunday (15). Apart from that, the parents of children who faced the scholarship this year engaged in protests in many parts of the island as well.
This group had protested against the fact that the three questions which are supposed to have been leaked, will be left out of the scholarship exam when marking the papers and this announcement had been made by the Examination Department.
The Examination Department had given permission to a group of parents who protested in front of the Department to submit a written petition to the authorities.
Due to the protest, the police and officers of the anti-riot squad were also called. Later, a discussion was held with a part of this group and the examination commissioner and after that, the protestors had dispersed.
The grade five scholarship exam was held last Sunday and 323,879 students appeared for the exam.Anyhow, a practical paper containing questions similar to some of the questions in the first paper of the scholarship examination had been circulated by a tutor in Alawwa area before the examination. Anuradhapura also had a question paper problem. Based on the complaints made by various parties in this regard, the examination department launched an investigation.
Based on the agreement of the panel of experts who prepared the question paper, the examination department had decided on Tuesday (17) to remove the three relevant questions and give the final marks.
The post No decision to annul Grade Five Schol held on Sunday – Exams Chief appeared first on DailyNews.