The Road Development Authority (RDA) yesterday announced that the Colombo-Kandy Road would be continued to be closed near the Lower Kadugannwa owing to a landslide threat there. RDA and National Building and Research Organisation (NBRO) Officials engaged in a field inspection to ensure safety of the road and make it available for vehicular movement as soon as possible.
As per the prevailing heavy rain and inclement weather, the stretch of road near the 98th Milepost of the Colombo-Kandy Road will be closed till 9 am on Friday.
RDA Director General Sardha Weerakoon requested the people to exercise caution when driving in heavy rain and use the alternative routes:
1. From Ambepussa to Kurunegala, and to use the Galagedara-Katugastota Route to Kandy
2. From Kegalle to Polgahawela to Kurunegala to use Galagedara-Katugastota Route to Kandy
3. From Mawanella to Rambukkana to Hatharaliyadda to use Galagedara-Katugastota Route to Kandy
4. From Mawanella to Hemmathagama to use Gampola-Preadeniya Route to Kandy.
Alternative routes from Kandy to Colombo:
1. From Katugastota-Galagedara to Kurunegala to proceed to Colombo.
2. From Katugastota- Galagedara-Rambukkana to proceed to Colombo.
The RDA Director General said that Police and RDA Officials would provide guidance to motorists to use the alternative routes and in the meantime with the instructions of the officials of the NBRO the Colombo-Kandy road will be made available for use once safety of the users is ensured.
Mound of Earth fell on boutiques at Kadugannawa