Be the First to Know

lanka matrimony

Havies survive second half rally to beat Navy 22-10

0 152
Action from the match between Havelock SC and Navy SC (Pic by Sudath Nishantha)
Action from the match between Havelock SC and Navy SC (Pic by Sudath Nishantha)

Havelock SC survived a fierce second half rally from Navy SC before cruising to a convincing 22-10 victory in their SLR Nippon Paint Inter-Club League Rugby Tournament first-round match played at Welisara yesterday.

The Havies went through some anxious moments after leading 15-0 at half time and eventually pulled off the game scoring two goals, one try and one penalty while the home side responded with one goal and one penalty.

Even then, Havelock SC were forced to defend inside their territory for a major part of the second half after the Sailors launched a series of three-quarter moves with their backs deciding to run the ball in a desperate attempt.

The Park Club came under tremendous pressure during the last few minutes of the game and were also found guilty of some indiscipline as substitute Randy Silva and Shean Dias were handed yellow cards in the space of three and a half minutes.

Navy SC exploited the situation and took advantage of the extra two players by scoring their solitary try in the 63rd minute through centre three quarter Mushin Faleel, who went over the blind side.

Full back Thilina Weerasinghe, who had earlier put over a 25-metre penalty, made a superb conversion from the corner flag to reduce the margin to five points (10-15) at that stage.

However, Havelock SC were able to score their third and decisive try almost with the run of play as Mithun Hapugoda added the finishing touches after the three quarters had worked on nearly 5-6 phases.

Fly half Sandesh Jayawickrema added the extra points having earlier missed a couple of penalties and Havelock SC were able to emerge victorious 22-10.

Earlier, the Havies opened the scoring in the fourth minute with Dinupa Seneviratne going over the whitewash after Hapugoda had initiated the move by executing a deep kick from his own territory.

Jayawickrema missed the conversion but managed to put over a penalty a few minutes later to increase their lead to 8-0 after 15 minutes of play.

Havelock SC won almost every line-out in the first half and they successfully overran the Navy SC forwards to score their second try with number eight Christian De Lile going over for a converted try.


Friday, December 30, 2022 – 01:00

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.