Mullaitivu mass grave excavation stopped for now
Senior Archaeologist in charge of the excavation of the mass grave in Mullaitivu, Kokkuthuduwai Prof.Raj Somadeva said that the excavation was temporarily stopped since Friday evening.
He said after analyzing the evidence unearthed through the excavations facts will be reported to the Mullaitivu Magistrate’s Court and further action will be taken according to orders by the Court.
The senior professor also stated that it is still not possible to come to a conclusion on the findings made so far through the excavations. Rs.5.7 million has been spent for the nine days of excavation work.
So far, during the excavation skeletons of 17 females and one male have been found. Pieces of uniforms suspected to belong to LTTE, an old pistol, parts of five firearms, two vials suspected to be cyanide capsules, two identification number plates (dog tags) and many other items and equipment have been found.
Excavation officials further said that skeletons were placed in the pit haphazardly and it shows they were buried in the pit without any orderly manner.
The recovered bone parts have been deposited in a special chamber at the Mullaitivu Hospital for examination under the orders of the Mullaitivu Magistrate.