This school was formerly known as St. Paul’s College and has a long history of over 140 years.
The school originated under the name of St. Paul’s College, as the junior school of Trinity College. In 1991, the name was changed to Wariyapola Sri Sumangala College.
They were one of the first schools in Kandy to play cricket in 1894 and after a few years they gave up the game.
Then after 87 years in 1981, they restarted cricket. At present they are doing well in the game of rugby. Like all other schools, they receive a lot of support from their Old Boys Rugby wing. What they lack is a proper playing field.
Once, they emerged as the Shield champions at the Inter-Schools Under-20 Division Two Sevens Tournament under the coaching of Lal Wijesiri.
They also conducted a coaching camp for the juniors and seniors with Sports Minister Namal Rajapaksa providing rugby equipment to the players.
In addition, the ‘Summa’ Rugby Integration was established in 2014 in order to enhance the standard of rugby, with the members consisting of past products of the College.
The main goal of the ‘Summa’ Rugby Integration is to promote and develop the skills among the rugby players.
Their mission is to produce elite rugby players whilst contributing to the development of self-reliance and resilience within themselves.
They are also committed to promoting discipline, commitment, team spirit, integrity and honour, both on and off the field.
And their vision is to play top premier rugby in the school rugby and to produce skilful players.